Welcome, Guest Log In | Register

You are here: HomeForum Home → Equipment FAQs → Strobes → Thread

How do I trigger the StarFlash from my camera? 

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 51

Joined 2012-05-08

PM

Sync your camera to the strobes so that they fire when you trip the shutter. Here, you have a couple of options. First, you can use a sync cable from camera to the strobe and if you have more than one strobe, set the other units for the photocell slave function & they will fire at the same time. You could use an on camera flash with a diffuser dome or similar, to direct its light toward the StarFlash & use its built in photo cell slave. With this method, the preflash system needs to be disabled & usually it is desired to turn the on camera flash to a lower power so as not to interfere with your other lighting.
The best option is to use radio slaves to trigger your flash(es). In this case, you will have a transmitter mounted to the hot shoe of your camera that will send a radio signal to the receiver attached to your strobe. If you want to avoid other peoples cameras from triggering any of your strobes, you need to use the radio slave receivers on each unit & turn off the photo cell slave sensor.

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2013-08-21

PM

Greetings

I would like to know which brand of transmitting radio recommend use with Photoflex StarFlash.

Thank you.

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 51

Joined 2012-05-08

PM

The Pocket Wizard brand has been reliable. However, earlier models of StarFlash, with a serial number with a numeric value lower than, but not including PO#3907,  require a unique polarity cord to work with the Pocket Wizard III models. The cord can be purchased from Paramount cords, 718.401.0288. The part number is PW-Photoflex-1. There are a variety of other radio remotes that will also work fine, you just need to have a 1/4 inch phono adapter to plug the receiver into the back of the StarFlash.